The Lesbian/Gay Chorus of San Francisco is an auditioned, 30-member chorus with members who
identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer and allies. Singing continually for almost 40 years,
we are one of the oldest out choruses in the world and a member of GALA Choruses. We perform 10
times a year; our repertoire ranges from classical to snarky, from political to sappy, and we frequently
commission music from local, queer composers. We emphasize collaboration with other performing arts
groups and a commitment to social and political justice.
We seek a dynamic, talented community builder who takes musicianship and fun equally seriously to
encourage our growth and lead us to new heights.
We rehearse Thursday nights and have a 4 concert season. The job is part-time, projected at 30 hours a
month, 12 months a year. Ideally, the position begins June 1st, 2017, although a different start date may
be negotiated by the right candidate. All candidates must supply a cover letter, a CV, and at the
appropriate stage, impeccable references.
Position Available: Artistic Director – JOB DESCRIPTION
The Artistic Director is the principal artistic leader of the Lesbian/Gay Chorus of San Francisco (LGCSF),
an independent, non-profit community-based chorus reflecting the gender and sexual diversity of San
• A Bachelor’s degree in music AND 3 years’ experience in choral conducting and performing, OR
• In-depth knowledge of musical theater, classical and modern vocal genres including queer music; basic
choreography skills, knowledge of vocal training and technique
• Excellent/Professional piano skills
• The dynamic personality, energy, sense of humor and musicianship essential for leading a 2.5 – hour
weekly rehearsal, developing themed concerts, cabarets, musicals and other forms of performance
• Experience and understanding of the LGBTQ community, including gender and trans competency
• Experience conducting mixed ensembles of all voice types.
• Organizational and leadership experience in producing concerts and cabarets, direct special events,
Duties of the Artistic Director:
Creating a concert season, to include annual Fall, Valentines’, Spring, and Pride Concerts:
• Prepare program order
• Select repertoire
• Select performance sites subject to budget constraints
• Select soloists, instrumentalists, and guest artists for performances.
• Work with member committees for each concert and show, with final approval in artistic matters
· Conduct all weekly rehearsals, auditions and performances
· Establish and maintain appropriate chorus etiquette and behavior during rehearsals and
· Appoint rehearsal and performance pianist
· Develop the musical skills and professionalism of the chorus, including annual assessments
· Attend and participate in monthly Artistic Advisory Committee meetings to organize artistic
• Attend and participate in monthly meetings of the Board of Directors, maintaining a thorough
awareness of the organization’s finances, preparing a yearly artistic budget, provide artistic statements
for grants, and establishing a direction and strategies for attaining artistic goals.
• Maintain communication with chorus manager regarding scheduling, auditions, committees, and
• Represent the chorus at fundraisers, community events and in the media.
Our mission: Celebrating all sexual orientations and gender identities, LGCSF provides an open and
artistic environment for singers committed to musical excellence. Our performances entertain, educate,
and inspire audiences with the spirit of inclusion and harmony.
Our vision: Reflecting the diversity of our community, LGCSF entertains and inspires through music.
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date is 4/30/2017